Monday, December 19, 2011

Dear Mia,

You're almost three years old! I can't believe I'm about to have a kid who's going to be in kindergarten soon, and I'll be a college graduate in a year. It's cray. (I'll explain that slang to you later)

Well, your speech has very much improved. You went from not being able to string together more than 2 words at a time to forming pretty good sentences. Sure, other people may not understand you, but they don't matter. You are trying and that's all you should care about even though I can tell you get frustrated or confused when we can't make out what you're saying. You got that quality from me: defeat makes you feel like crap. You would rather not say anything than to say something incorrect. Yup. You definitely got that from me.

You love to sing. Annie is your favorite movie and you would watch and sing those songs all day, every day. You also like singing along to Amy Winehouse, Adele, and Shakira... Even though you can not speak Spanish to save you face... I'll teach you one day.

Your coloring has improved. You color inside the lines quite well! That's why I got you an easel to express yourself on paper/chalkboard for "Christmas".... a holiday you have no concept of even though people assume you are so excited for it. Sorry Mia, I don't feed into the commercialization of holidays so you won't be one of those kids with 9878 gifts waiting for them.

Let's talk about the future... We are going to move out of the South. We aren't meant to be here, especially with my liberal, democratic, big-city-lovin' self. Maybe San Francisco, NYC, Los Angeles, Washington DC, Chicago, London, Singapore? I'm not sure yet, but we have a little time to get our act together. I want you to go to a private school preferably. Learn a couple languages possibly: Mandarin, French, Spanish, Hindi. You're choice. Play an instrument of your liking. Do ballet or some form of dance. Eat all types of food. Travel the world. Pretty much, I want you to have everything I've dreamed of doing and having.

Yes, it sounds like A LOT to accomplish on both of our plates. It is a lot to accomplish, but your mommy is a big dreamer. All she does is dream of events that can occur in the future because the present is so drab sometimes. Might as well think of the great things that can happen, right?

I'm not sure how we are going to get all of this done, honestly. I have very little resources right now... But hey! If you have nothing, what is below that? Exactly. We can only go up from here. Even if it means I have to leave you with Granny, or Thanh or Adiam or Henry even  while I go work my face off until it bleeds in some big city as a poor executive assistant until I get on my feet just to get you the lifestyle you deserve. I'll do it.

I can't promise a perfect life for you with a big house, tons of food, money, a mommy & daddy, and a cat or two, but I will surely try my best.

Love, Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment